Sunday, July 6, 2008

Celebrating America's Independence in Liberia

Well,I am not used to people coming up and saying Happy Independence Day! Here working with the UN it happened all day. The US Contingent celebrated with a contingent meeting - it means no UN work that day. (OK say it- you know you want to "unwork") The greetings were nice - and somewhat unexpected by me. :))


We also had our medal parade on the 3rd of July, 5 guys got their medals for service in a UN Mission. I won't be eligible here for another 3 months. UNMIL policy is that you get the medal after 6 months. It was very short and non-ceremonial, as we did not want a lot of pomp and circumstance or whatever you get when you get medals. You can probably pick out the medals on the guys shirts.


It is kind of nice to have a peacekeeping medal - not everyone has one. I got one in Kosovo - it is a bit different.


Not much else - y'all stay safe!

4 comments:

  1. Any significance between blue shirts and white shirts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wil - White shirts are "senior advisors" the blue shirts are just advisors (like me),

    ReplyDelete
  3. So who are you working for, if I can ask? Your other blog had me thinking you were doing Private Eye work, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Currently I am working for the UN as a Police Advisor in Liberia.

    ReplyDelete