Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Long Time Ago in a Mexican Resturant Far, Far Away

Here is my story of what seems to be a hundred years ago. Before my wife and I were married, we had gone out on a date with another couple. I don’t remember why we were angry with each other, but we were. We were at a Mexican food restaurant, and had just ordered our food. The drinks had come, and while we were waiting, we were both not speaking. I just looked at her, I was angry because she was angry, and probably vice/versa. Yet, when I looked in her eyes, there was something more there.

To try to break the tension, I gave her a little wink, she didn’t cave, she would only keep a straight face. Even though she didn’t show it on her face, I though I detected that twinkle that says “I love you.”

I was just taking a sip of my drink, when her friend Bev said something like “Wow, you can tell just by the way you two look at each other that you are so in love!” She said it with conviction, so I know she was not being sarcastic. I nearly spewed my drink all over the table. It was a good thing they had not brought the chips out yet. I started to laugh, and I saw that my soon to be wife broke down and started to grin slowly. Then she busted out laughing.

Everyone at the table was laughing. Then Bev asked “Why are we all laughing?” I guess she thought we were laughing at my spewing my drink. We explained to her that were had been angry at each other and we weren’t even speaking to each other. If only she could have read the article on how to tell if a guy likes you, maybe she would have known for sure. Of course, we were no longer angry at each other and we had a nice night and date.

What I wonder is – did our love shine through even though we were angry at each other? Or was it that some people are just really bad at reading non verbal clues? I guess I will never know.

Just for information, it won’t be long until we have been married 29 years.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the upcoming anniversary!!

    Good story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wil - Well, it isn't that soon - it was just this random memory thig popped up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! That is an awesome story. We are going on our 18th year here, and we get the same types of comments from people.

    We do love each other deeply but sometimes there is a twinkle of spousal homicide in both of our eyes when we are pissed at each other haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet! But trust me, if Babycakes and I aren't talking to each other, people will know. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chelle - Yeah I know what you mean there, but 18 years - congrats!

    Alice - Haha! I have all sorts of thoughts in my head about that comment - I am not sure which way to go - some things are best left to the imagination :P

    ReplyDelete