Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bloggers Unite For Human Rights

Bloggers Unite for Human Rights 05.15.08
I am not one to jump on a lot of band-wagons, but I am joining in this. I almost didn't just because Amnesty International joined in. However I work for the UN right now (I know, I know) specifically UNMIL, and I have seen many a human rights violations take place, and part of my job is to try and stop that.

All of that said, it brings me to this. What exactly is a "human right" and who decides what human rights are? For example, what many may consider a human right in the U.S. is a great priviledge elsewhere. Do we have a right to news access for example? A lot of folks do not have that. Do we have a right to a "safe" home, a house or an apartment?

The American Heritage Dictionary states
The basic rights and freedoms to which all humans are entitled, often held to include the right to life and liberty, freedom of thought and expression, and equality before the law.

The UN's list is long and wordy. You can see it here. Not everyone everywhere has all of those rights. Everyone in the U.S. doesn't even have all of those rights (I say that because the U.S. is a pretty rights oriented country)So what I wonder is this: is freedom from torture a human right? (the UN thinks so) Many countries routinely torture their prisoners and the populations of the countries think it is "normal." Just something to think about. Is a minimum amount of space per prisoner a human right (the UN thinks so) though I did not see that in the definition. Is having three meals a day a human right?

I may not understand all about human rights, even though I am hired as an "expert" on that among other matters, I still work for human rights where I can.

4 comments:

  1. It is hard to say what is a right and what is a blessing...However, I believe that there can be no greater price to pay for a life and a quality one at that. Often times I am faced with caring for people that are not able to pay for their care which I know that my hard earned tax dollars go to..but do I think that they deserve the very best care...when I graduated I took a hipocratic oath to do no harm and to pt be an advicate for my patients which at times I fight the Dr.'s for hard core. Weather you think it is a right or a blessing life inself is very precious. And althought there are people out there that are not very good people I will infact do my best even if they have over dosed on drugs to save their life. There is honor in doing what is right...and one can't take money with them to heaven... So keep on fighting the fight I say alway listen to your heart it will never lead you wrong...I can't fix everyone but I sure can try to make a difference in some people's lives!!Rock on,...and know the power of your worth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I respect you more for having such a kind of job. Really, how many people risk their own lives to fight for the safety and wellbeing of others?

    Democratic countries have a constitution that lists down the rights of their citizens, and these rights differ from the rest of world. But the right to live comes when we are born. The right to be respected is an innate right of every human being, provided we do our best to gain it.

    Maybe, radical elements of a country almost always exist because of violations of rights which have been made legal by the country they live in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just - thanks for the comment, and I will try to keep on doing good.

    Sphinx - Radical groups arise for all sorts of reasons, including trying ti take away rights of others. It is nice to be a part of a country that does celebrate freedoms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure is, Barry! Although here in the Philippines, the New People's Army (NPA), a communist-oriented group is still active, while in Mindanao, Muslim rebels still do their thing. Wish there is peace between the Christians and Muslims in that part of the country.

    ReplyDelete